Rust is a new programming language which had its 1.0 release in 2015:
- Rust is a statically compiled language in a similar role as C++
rustcuses LLVM as its backend.
- Rust supports many platforms and
- x86, ARM, WebAssembly, …
- Linux, Mac, Windows, …
- Rust is used for a wide range of devices:
- firmware and boot loaders,
- smart displays,
- mobile phones,
Rust fits in the same area as C++:
- High flexibility.
- High level of control.
- Can be scaled down to very constrained devices such as microcontrollers.
- Has no runtime or garbage collection.
- Focuses on reliability and safety without sacrificing performance.